Health Benefits of Spinach
– Choline and inositol are found in spinach. These substances help to prevent atherosclerosis or thickening and hardening of arteries.
– Spinach is full of flavonoid that functions as an antioxidant and an anti-cancer agent.
– There is an abundance of carotenoid in spinach that help fights cancer.
– Spinach is a rich source of Vitamins C and A and is also an anti-aging vegetable.
– Spinach is a good source of Vitamin K, which assists in the formation of the blood substance required for clotting of blood.
Garlic Sautéed Spinach
1 1/2 pounds baby spinach leaves
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped garlic (6 cloves)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Sea or kosher salt, optional
Rinse the spinach well in cold water to make sure it’s very clean. Spin it dry in a salad spinner, leaving just a little water clinging to the leaves.
In a very large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic over medium heat for about 1 minute, but not until it’s browned. Add all the spinach, the salt, and pepper to the pot, toss it with the garlic and oil, cover the pot, and cook it for 2 minutes. Uncover the pot, turn the heat on high, and cook the spinach for another minute, stirring with a wooden spoon, until all the spinach is wilted. Using a slotted spoon, lift the spinach to a serving bowl and top with the butter, a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkling of sea or kosher salt. Serve hot.
Leave a reply